This view from ca. 1912 (Canadian National Archives) shows the same part of the beach as the previous one, but looking in the opposite direction. The picture predates the construction of the breakwater; that is Gartley Point in the distance.
One day the pier collapsed under the locomotive, and afterwards the trains always backed on. A steam-powered machine running on parallel tracks tipped the logs off.
The tracks you see leading into the woods were a connector to the line between the Cumberland mines and the wharves at Union Bay. This connector served two purposes: to fetch coal for the logging locomotives, and to haul logs brought over the colliery's tracks from the CL&R's operations to the west, which had no direct connection to the main line. After the Esquimalt & Nanaimo Railway was extended to Courtenay in 1914, there was a junction of all three lines in Royston. Only the E&N line still exists, though in a sad state of disrepair; passenger service finally ceased in early 2011 and is unlikely ever to be restored.